- Applications will be accepted from:
- university departments or academic research institutes with a doctoral program in any or all of the major sub-disciplines of anthropology (sociocultural anthropology, archaeology, biological anthropology, linguistic anthropology); or
- departments wishing to establish an anthropological doctoral program [such departments must be in institutions where the infrastructure for doctoral programs already exists]; or
- an interdepartmental group of anthropologists wishing to establish a doctoral program in anthropology.
If the application seeks to create a new doctoral program in anthropology, or one of the anthropological sub-disciplines, the doctoral program should be viable within the five-year period of the grant and there should be a realistic strategy in place for sustaining the program's growth and development at the end of the award.
- Departments that primarily emphasize applied goals (for example, epidemiology, public health, conservation or social work) are not eligible to apply.
- Applicant departments must be located in countries where anthropology, or any of its major sub-disciplines, is under-represented and where there are limited resources to support academic development.
- The Institutional Development Grant must be used in ways that will contribute to the academi