Each year, the Wenner-Gren Foundation funds a small number of one-time projects designed to meet a need not addressed by our other programs. Global Initiatives Grants can be as small as $5,000 and as large as $20,000; they fund innovative, collaborative initiatives that build capacity in anthropology. We look for projects in which a small amount of money can have a wide and lasting impact in creating the conditions that allow the discipline to survive and thrive. Applicants of any nationality or country of residence may apply. Applicants must have a PhD in anthropology at the time of application and be affiliated with a school or organization that can carry forward the lessons learned through the project. We prioritize applications from individuals based in countries, regions, and communities where anthropology is disadvantaged or under threat. Our total budget for this program is $30,000/year, so the competition is very stiff for this grant.
This season's Global Initiatives Grant application requires six (6) Project Description Questions to be answered:
- What need for capacity building will this project address? How will this project enhance the ability of anthropologists in your country, region, or community to have a greater impact within the discipline and the wider world? (1000 words)
- What obstacles to capacity building exist in your country, region, or community? (1000 words)
- Why isn’t this project eligible for funding under one of the Wenner-Gren Foundation’s other programs? (250 words)
- What collaborations will be involved in helping you reach your goals? (500 words)
- What will be the afterlife of this project, if successful? What lasting impact will it have? Could others use or adapt your project design to address similar challenges? If so, how? (500 words)
- Will this project require ongoing financial support? If so, how will you secure this funding? (500 words)
The deadline for the current Global Initiatives Grant season has passed and we are no longer accepting applications at this time. The next Global Initiatives Grant season applications will be made available March 1, 2022.
For more information, contact Judy Kreid at firstname.lastname@example.org.