- The application must be made by a professional anthropologist who is the primary organizer of the proposed conference or workshop. A co-applicant can be specified on the application. Applications are not accepted from students without a co-applicant who has a doctorate and holds an established academic position.
- Requests by individuals for grants to attend meetings are not accepted.
- Applications submitted for the June 1 deadline must be for conferences or workshops held after January 1 of the following year. Applications submitted for the December 1 deadline must be for conferences or workshops held after July 1 of the following year. The Foundation can accept applications up to two years in advance of the meeting.
- Current conference/workshop grantees must have completed all requirements of their existing award before an application for a new conference/workshop grant can be accepted. The following also applies:
- Current conference/workshop grantees may apply for research grants before the completion of their conference/workshop grant.
- Current research grantees (Post-Ph.D. or International Collaborative) may apply for a conference or workshop grant before the completion of their research grant.
- Applicants may submit simultaneous applications for a Conference or Workshop Grant and for a Post Ph.D. or International Research Grant.
- Individuals cannot be Organizer or Co-Organizer on more than one