The applicant should request confidential "Letters of Recommendation" from both the Home Sponsor and the Host Sponsor. These letters must be sent directly to the Foundation and should arrive no later than DECEMBER 15. Letters of Recommendation may be sent by e-mail (email@example.com) or by fax (1-212-532-1492) to expedite delivery. If they are sent by e-mail they must be submitted in a format compatible with Microsoft Word 2003, or as an Adobe PDF. Acceptable document formats include “.doc”, “.txt”, “.xls” and “.pdf” extensions. Please note that applications cannot be processed unless both letters of recommendation are received by the application deadline.
Download Instructions for the Home Sponsor Letter of Recommendation and send to your Home Sponsor. Click Here For Letter
Download Instructions for the Host Sponsor Letter of Recommendation and send to your Host Sponsor. Click Here for Letter
- The Home Sponsor must be an academic member of the institution with which the applicant is (or had been) affiliated in the home country. If the applicant has a prior degree/s from the Host Institution, the Home Sponsor should be the Head of a relevant department at the Host Institution or another member of the academic staff who is familiar with the applicant, but who will not be acting as the Host Sponsor. The letter should clearly identify the applicant by their full legal name and should state:
- The applicant's qualifications
- The reasons why the applicant desires further training in anthropology
- The applicant's suitability for this training
- The applicant's employment and research prospects in Africa upon completion of the degree
- The Host Sponsor must be an academic member of the department or program in which the applicant plans to pursue training. The Host Sponsor must be willing to supervise the applicant's training. The letter should clearly identify the applicant by their full legal name and should state:
- The applicant's prospects for success in the proposed program of study/training
- The length of time that is likely to be required for completion of this program
- The facilities and support to be made available to the applicant while at the Host Institution
- The applicant's need for a Wadsworth African Fellowship and any financial assistance that the Host Institution might be able to offer the applicant. (Past Host Institutions have provided fellowship support, waived tuition, or subsidized living accommodations, etc.)
- The Host Sponsor's willingness to fulfill the Foundation's Requirements and Conditions of the Wadsworth African Fellowship
If the Foundation receives more than one application from a single South African department, the Foundation will contact that department to have them prioritize their applicants for potential funding.