The applicant should request confidential "Letters of Recommendation" from both the Home Sponsor and the Host Sponsor. These letters must be sent directly to the Foundation and should arrive no later than the March 1 deadline. Letters may be sent by e-mail to: email@example.com or by fax to: 1-212-683-9151 to expedite delivery. Please note that applications cannot be processed unless both letters of recommendation are received by the application deadline.
Download Instructions for the Home Sponsor Letter of Recommendation and send to your Home Sponsor. Click Here For Letter
Download Instructions for the Host Sponsor Letter of Recommendation and send to your Host Sponsor. Click Here for Letter
- The Home Sponsor must be a member of the institution with which the applicant is (or has been) affiliated in the home country. The letter should clearly identify the applicant by their full legal name and should state:
- The applicant's qualifications
- The reasons why the applicant desires further training in anthropology and why this training is not available in the home country
- The applicant's suitability for this training
- The applicant's employment and research prospects in his/her country after completion of the degree.
- The Host Sponsor must be an academic member of the department or program in which the applicant plans to pursue training. The Host Sponsor must be willing to supervise the applicant's training. The letter should clearly identify the applicant by their full legal name and should state:
- The applicant's prospects for success in the proposed program of study/training
- The length of time that is likely to be required for completion of this program. If the applicant does not already hold a relevant Masters degree, it's important for the Host Sponsor to address whether he/she will be able to successfully complete their training (both the Masters degree and any other requirements of their doctoral program) and advance to candidacy, or otherwise be prepared to begin their doctoral fieldwork, within the three years of Wadsworth funding
- The facilities and support that will be made available to the applicant while at the Host Institution
- Any financial assistance that the Host Institution might be able to offer the applicant. (Past Host Institutions have provided fellowship support, waived tuition, or subsidized living accommodations, etc.)
- The Host Sponsor's willingness to fulfill the Foundation's Requirements and Conditions of the Wadsworth International Fellowship.