You must submit a detailed budget with your online application.
The maximum award for the Engaged Anthropology Grant is US$5,000. Applicants should submit a budget within this limit.
Provide a budget only for the items and amounts you are requesting from Wenner-Gren. If your project is dependent on funding from more than one source, you should include a brief description of the items not covered in your Wenner-Gren budget together with the cost of these items. Please also include a statement of the feasibility of your project if additional funding is not forthcoming.
It is important to include a detailed breakdown of the budget, showing how expenses were estimated in each category. You should use the categories listed below when relevant and be detailed in your justification/explanation. Items not fully justified will not be considered.
- Expenses directly related and essential to the project, including travel, living expenses during project and any project assistance, visa fees, and other relevant research expenditures. Childcare expenses will be considered if no adult family member accompanies the applicant and child(ren) into the field.
- Per Diem expenses should be an accurate reflection of the actual costs of carrying out the project. The Foundation rarely if ever pays US State Department per diems for foreign travel. All per diem amounts should be justified.
- Supplies and equipment directly related to the successful completion of the project. For items of equipment costing in excess of $750, include a donation statement as well as a justification. The Donation Statement should include:
- Why the equipment is necessary for this project
- Why use of such equipment cannot be obtained from your institution
- Why funding cannot be obtained from other sources
- How you plan to dispose of equipment at the end of your project. Please note the Foundation's equipment policy requires that if any item of equipment (including software) purchased with grant funds at an original cost in excess of $750 still has monetary value, the resale value must be returned to the Foundation; or, upon approval by the Foundation, such equipment may be donated to an educational or scientific organization(see the Requirements and Conditions of the Engaged Anthropology Grant ). Equipment comprised of compound elements each costing less than $750 but used together (e.g. camera body and lenses)