You must submit a detailed budget with your online application. A sample budget can be accessed here .
The maximum award for the Post-Ph.D. Research Grant is US$20,000.
Provide a budget only for the items and amounts you are requesting from Wenner-Gren. If your project is dependent on funding from more than one source, you should include a brief description of the items not covered in your Wenner-Gren budget together with the cost of these items. Please also include a statement of the feasibility of your project if additional funding is not forthcoming.
It is important to include a detailed breakdown of the budget, showing how expenses were estimated in each category. You should use the categories listed below when relevant and be detailed in your justification/explanation. Items not fully justified will not be considered.
- Research expenses directly related and essential to the project, including travel, living expenses during fieldwork, research assistance, transcription costs, specialized software, gifts for informants, visa fees, and other relevant research expenditures. Childcare expenses will be considered if no adult family member accompanies the applicant and child(ren) into the field. Please refer to the sample budget for an example of the detail required. Items of special note include the following.
- If you are requesting multiple trips to the field, please justify the need for them. Please note, the Foundation does not fund pilot research or trips home from the field to consult with colleagues or to carry our preliminary data analysis.
- If you are requesting funds for research assistance, please justify why the assistance is needed and precisely what aspects of the research will be carried out by you and what aspects will be carried out by the research assistant/s. Please also clearly justify the level of payment for the research assistant/s in the context of the appropriate wage level for your research site, the number of assistants requested, and the amount of time for which you are requesting assistance. It is important to provide a convincing justification for the number of research assistants requested and for their period of appointment.
- If you are requesting funds for transcription costs, please justify the payment level, the need for this assistance, the proportion of the transcription that will be carried out by the assistant and by you, and how the transcriptions will be used in the resulting analysis. It is particularly important to justify why word-for-word transcriptions are necessary for your particular research project.
- If you are requesting childcare expenses, please confirm that your child(ren) will be accompanying yo