You must submit a detailed budget with your online application. A sample budget can be accessed here.
The maximum award for the Dissertation Fieldwork Grant is US$20,000.
Provide a budget only for the items and amounts you are requesting from Wenner-Gren. If your project is dependent on funding from more than one source, you should include a brief description of the items not covered in your Wenner-Gren budget together with the cost of these items. Please also include a statement of the feasibility of your project if additional funding is not forthcoming.
It is important to include a detailed breakdown of the budget, showing how expenses were estimated in each category. You should use the categories listed below when relevant and be detailed in your justification/explanation. Items not fully justified will not be considered.
- Research expenses directly related and essential to the project, including travel, living expenses during fieldwork, research assistance, transcription costs, specialized software, gifts for informants, visa fees, and other relevant research expenditures. Childcare expenses will be considered if no adult family member accompanies the applicant and child(ren) into the field. Please refer to the sample budget for an example of the detail required. Items of special note include the following.
- If you are requesting multiple trips to the field, please justify the need for them. Please note, the Foundation does not fund pilot research or trips home from the field to consult with supervisors or colleagues or to carry our preliminary data analysis. It also does not fund trips to the field for supervisors to advise or support their doctoral students.
- If you are requesting funds for research assistance, please justify why the assistance is needed and precisely what aspects of the research will be carried out by you and what aspects will be carried out by the research assistant/s. Please also clearly justify the level of payment for the research assistant/s in the context of the appropriate wage level for your research site, the number of assistants requested, and the amount of time for which you are requesting assistance. It is important to provide a convincing justification for the number of research assistants requested and for their period of appointment. Resist the temptation to inflate this item to the budget maximum.
- If you are requesting funds for transcription costs, please justify the payment level, the need for this assistance, and the proportion of the transcription that will be carried out by the assistant and by you and how the transcriptions will be used in the resulting analysis. It is particularly important to justify why word-for-word transcriptions are necessary for your particular research project.
- Dissertation Fieldwork Grant applicants should note that the Foundation expects our grantees to participate in all aspects of the research and not hire in others to carry out activities that would give the grantees themselves valuable experience and/or insight. This is particularly relevant to requests for research and transcription assistance.
- If you are requesting childcare expenses, please confirm that your child(ren) will be accompanying you to the field and whether any other adult member of the household is available to care for them. Provide the number of hours/days and hourly/daily rate for childcare
- Per Diem expenses should be an accurate reflection of the actual costs of carrying out the research. The Foundation rarely if ever pays US State Department per diems for foreign travel. If the applicant does not have a clear idea of the costs of research, s/he should consult with others who have experience in the area. The Fulbright-Hays or the Economic and Social Research Council (UK) websites also provide international per diem/maintenance allowance estimates appropriate for academic research. All per diem amounts should be justified.
- Supplies and equipment directly related to the successful completion of the project. For items of equi