Looking back on its first decade of existence, Richard C. Hunt (then President of the Viking Fund) laid out the following guiding principles used by its Board of Directors in overseeing its operation.
Following the example established in the Foundation's "Annual Report for 1951," which included a survey and analysis by A.L. Kroeber of the Foundation's programs and activiities during its first ten years, on the occasion of the Foundation's 20th Anniversary, the Board of Directors requested three eminent, senior anthropologists in the major areas of specialization to prepare a statement on the role performed by the Wenner-Gren Foundation in its second decade of funding research in anthropology.
To mark the golden anniversary, the Wenner-Gren Foundation's 50th Anniversary annual report included a special section of essays.
Viking Fund Publications in Anthropology
Lita Osmundsen (Wenner-Gren Foundation President 1963-1986) in front of the entrance to the Foundation's offices at 14 West 71st Street in New York City circa the 1970s. The brownstone, purchased by Axel Wenner-Gren in 1951, served as the Foundation's headquarters until it was sold in 1978.
Carleton Coon and Pierre Teilhard de Chardin during a break at the first International Symposium on Anthropology in 1952.
Wenner-Gren staff and guests attending the Burg Wartenstein dedication festivities.