Confidentiality of Proposals and Applicants
- The contents of all applications are to be treated as confidential. Do not copy, quote, or otherwise use or disclose to anyone, including your graduate students or post-doctoral or research associates, any material from any proposal you are asked to review.
- All applications should be destroyed once you have completed the review process.
Confidentiality of the Review Process
- Your identity as a reviewer of a particular proposal is kept confidential, although the Foundation does publish a list of all reviewers, including their academic affiliation, in its annual report.
- The Foundation sends anonymous feedback to all declined and approved applicants.
- You as a reviewer will receive anonymous feedback for all of the proposals that you review along with reviewer scores and the funding decision. This information is confidential and is not to be disclosed to anyone (e.g. current applicants, future applicants, colleagues).
What Constitutes a Conflict-of-Interest as a reviewer?
- Reviewers cannot apply for grants from the programs for which they are acting as either a screener or panelist (e.g. the Post-Ph.D. Research Grant, the Hunt Postdoctoral Fellowship, the International Collaborative Research Grant, or the Fejos Postdoctoral Fellowship in Ethnographic Film). If you intend to apply to one of these programs, please notify the Wenner-Gren Applications Office and we will suspend you for the relevant application season.
What constitutes a Conflict-of-Interest with an applicant?
- Current or recent employment (within the last 24 months) in the applicant’s department.
- Known family relationship (spouse, child, sibling, parent) with the applicant.
- Past or present association with the applicant as thesis advisor/advisee or as a member of the doctoral committee.
- Collaboration on a project or on a book, article, report, or paper within the last 48 months.
- Co-editing of a journal, compendium, or conference proceedings within the last 24 months.
- Any relationship of your spouse, partner or relative living in your immediate household with the applicant that is covered by items 1-5.
- Other relationships (e.g. personal friendship, having taught the applicant) that you think might affect your judgment or be seen as doing so by a reasonable person familiar with the relationship.
If any of these situations apply, please contact the Wenner-Gren Applications office (email@example.com) as soon as possible in the review season so the proposal/s can be reassigned.
Adapted for Wenner-Gren from the National Science Foundation “Conflict-of-Interests and Confidentiality Statement for NSF Panelists”
NSF Form 1230P (2/04)