I am the Deputy Director of the Oxford Radiocarbon Accelerator Unit, and administer the Unit's archaeological dating programmes.
I am secretary to the NERC - AHRC National Radiocarbon Facility advisory panel.
My research interests revolve around archaeological dating using AMS, radiocarbon AMS dating of bone, the chronology of the Middle and Upper Palaeolithic of Europe, reservoir effects in 14C, the application of Bayesian calibration methods to archaeological dating, dating novel sample types and sample pretreatment chemistry.
- I am an ERC Advanced Investigator with £2.48 million funding for 5 years starting in 2013 to investigate the chronology of the Middle and Upper Palaeolithic of Eurasia. There are 4 post-doctoral researchers involved in the project.
- I was the Principal Investigator (PI) on the NERC grant funded project "Dating of the Middle-Upper Palaeolithic transition in western Europe using ultrafiltration" which finished in 2011.
- I am PI of a Leverhulme Trust-funded project examining the Aurignacian of eastern and western Europe, and the lithic evidence.
- I am a Principal Collaborating specialist on the Ancient Human Occupation of Britain (AHOB) team which is investigating human occupation in Britain and Europe over the last million years.
- I am a co-investigator on the grant "The evolutionary history of Neanderthals and their potential interface with early modern humans in the southern and northern Caucasus" with Ron Pinhasi (UCC Ireland) and Dan Adler (UConn).